Skip to content
Home » University Degrees – What To Know

University Degrees – What To Know

  • by

If you are enrolled in a the university level, you must be aware of what kind of degree or qualification you’re registering for.

The program you select determines the degree you earn at graduation. There are courses that come with different awards, based on how long you’d like to take to complete your studies and the number of credits you accumulate.

However, how do you differentiate the LLBs from HNDs? What do the terms “levels” and “credits” mean? Which degree is best for you? What are the various types in university degree?

Undergraduate studies

Bachelor’s degree – Level 6

A Bachelor’s or Honours degrees is by far the most commonly used kind that undergraduate students earn. This is what employers usually mean when they’re seeking an undergraduate or a ‘first degree’ in the job advertisement.

It’s obvious that you’re looking at an undergraduate degree when you’re able to see titles like Bachelor of Arts – BA (Hons), Bachelor of Science – BSc (Hons), Bachelor of Engineering – BEng (Hons) and Bachelor of Laws – LLB (Hons).

The (Hons) part refers to Honours. It is usually the case that you are studying for 3 years or 4 years in the case of a course with a sandwich-placement option. The course covers 360 credits, with the dissertation or major project during your final year.

Admission requirements vary based on the particular course, but typically, you must have the relevant A-levels, or equivalent qualifications or prior experience in the subject you’re interested in studying.

Graduate Certificate (GradCert) – Level 6

A GradCert is at the same degree as a Bachelor’s degree however, it is less in scope, which means it requires less time to finish.

They are usually offered in particular fields that are relevant to the workplace for example, management, psychology, counselling or law. A GradCert will help you build abilities and skills within a specific subject area to help you prepare for your job.

A GradCert usually takes about one an entire year, and is part-time.

Do you need a fake degree certificate? Visit

Integrated Master’s degree – Level 7.

If you’re looking to become an expert in your field and are aware that you would like to take your studies to the next level A integrated Master’s degree can help you reach your goals.

It takes four months to earn, and five with an additional year of placement which combine an undergraduate degree with an additional postgraduate year. You are awarded an MSc degree that includes MSc MEng, MOpthom, or MMath.

Top-up degree – Level 6

If you are a holder of an entry-level 5 qualification like an HND, foundation degree, or completion of two years of study, you may be able to take a higher degree course to further develop your previous studies and earn the full honours diploma (level 6.).

Higher-level degrees are less specialized and usually completed in just one year, however they can be anywhere between 1 and 2 years , depending on the point at which you started in your studies and whether it’s full time or part-time.

A few of our top-up degree programs (those that deal with business communication) are designed specifically for students whose primary native language isn’t English.

If you are a person with less of a qualification but have extensive experience in a related field, we might consider it as a possibility to earn a higher degree.

Foundation degree – Level 5

If you’re working and would like to improve your capabilities to help you take on more challenging jobs, a Foundation diploma (also known as FdA is a fantastic option to earn while learning. Foundation degrees were developed to to bridge the gap between universities and colleges and to help more students from the vocational field to higher education.

FDAs are Level 5 therefore they’re just below the Bachelor’s degree However, once you’ve completed an FdA you’ll be able to “top-up” to a degree that is a full honours by completing additional studies when you’re at the right stage.

The entry requirements differ based on the topic. It is possible that you will need qualifications like A-levels or work experience. Admissions are typically assessed by an assessment on an individual basis to ensure that you have the necessary knowledge and abilities that you require to complete the course.

Higher National Certificate (HNC) and Higher National Diploma (HND) at levels 4 and 5.

Learning to study an HNC or HND will provide you with the knowledge and abilities you require to be successful in your present or future career. An higher National Certificate or Diploma is the ideal choice if you wish to start your career of dreams or kick-start your further studies by registering for a degree program in the middle of.

HNCs typically take one year to complete they are the initial year of studying for Honours degrees. HNDs last for two years to complete, and can be considered to equal the initial two Years of study for an Honours Degree.

Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) and Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) 5 and 5

The CertHE, (also known as a DipHE is a distinct certificate that’s typically awarded when you’re not able to take on an entire degree. You can earn an CertHE for one year of full-time studies, worth 120 credits. Then you can get an HE DipHE for two years of full-time study worth 120 credits.

The CertHE and DipHE may be beneficial for finding a job, based on the field, since they’re equivalent to other certifications. For instance the DipHE in Management and Management is similar to the NVQ 4 . Diploma of Administration and Administration.

It is possible to make use of the CertHE or DipHE as a way to get towards a degree and you could be able to skip one or two months of your degree. However, you must ensure that you’re meeting the entry requirements for the degree you’re interested in. You should also check if your prior education is transferable.

Certificate of Education (CertEd) – Level 4

If you’re looking to make an education career for further or professional education, you require the CertEd. It will allow you to apply for teaching jobs in schools, sixth-forms and private training institutions as well as public service and non-profit organisations. It is also possible to upgrade your diploma to the level of a BA (Hons) in Education and Training degree with further research.

You must have a Level 3 qualification in your field, like A-Levels, to be able to go on an CertEd course. It usually takes 1 year of full-time studies or 2 years of part-time study with the colleges we partner with.

Postgraduate study

The majority of the time, should you be looking to expand your undergraduate education up to postgraduate you’ll find details on Master’s degrees taught by teachers and Ph.D.s. There are many alternatives for postgraduate studies that will fit your needs and time constraints.

There are a variety of Postgraduate degrees taught or awards, qualifications and degrees. Our Research Degrees section provides information on the various kinds of research degrees you could take advantage of with us.

Master’s degree – Level 7

Master’s degrees are the most well-known postgraduate qualification. Master’s degrees have names like Master of Arts MA, Master of Science MA Master of Science MSc Master of Engineering MEng Master of Research – MRes, and Master of Laws (LLM). LLM.

If you’ve completed your Bachelor’s degree and are looking to pursue your studies further and earn a Master’s degree, it’s the ideal next step. You can pursue a Master’s degree in order to increase your knowledge and make you more employable and an authority in your field. It may even lead to further study and the degree of PhD.

Generally, master’s degrees require approximately 1 to two years to finish. It is necessary to complete an extensive research or major projectthat is worth 180 credits. To be eligible to earn a Master’s diploma, it is usually necessary to earn the undergraduate level in a related field.

Master of Business Administration (MBA) Level 7

An MBA is an internationally-recognised degree that develops skills for careers in business and management. It also allows you to help you get an executive career in different areas like in the government sector government and private sector.

Achieving an MBA will allow professionals to in assuming new and challenging roles or increase their earnings or give them the information and abilities needed to begin their own company.

To enroll in an MBA course, you typically require at least an undergraduate diploma in a related field. The typical MBA course takes one full year, but two years if you decide to take a part-time course.

Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) Level 7

A PGCE gives you a more rigorous academic training to make you ready for a profession as a teacher. It typically takes one year to complete full-time or 2 years of part-time.

It is a combination of theory and education and work experience that means you’ll be spending a large part of your time at the partner school of your choice using your teaching abilities to use.

To enroll in an PGCE course, you’ll need an undergraduate degree in a relevant field as well as entry requirements that vary according to the subject that you intend to teach.

Postgraduate top-up degree – Level 7

If you’ve got an PG degree or an equivalent level seven certification (see the section below) you may be eligible for the postgraduate top-up degree option to further your studies and complete a full Master’s.

Higher-level degrees are less specialized They’re usually completed in just one year, but they can last anywhere between 6 months and two years, depending on the point you started from and whether you’re studying full-time or part-time.

If you are a candidate with an unrelated qualification but have extensive experience in the relevant field, you may be able to consider this when applying to get a higher degree.

Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) along with Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert) at the level 7

It’s less formal than a Master’s and similar in terms of quality the PgDip and PgCert is a great option if you would like to pursue your undergraduate education to the next level, but you don’t want to be obligated to something as rigorous as a Master’s.

A lot of postgraduate certificates and diplomas are specific to a particular field, so if have a goal for your career you’re considering and require an educational qualification that can help you get ahead then these are the best option for you. Since these programs are less lengthy than Master’s degreesthey are easier to incorporate into your current work.

A PgDip can be worth 120 credits, while the shorter version, called a PgCert, has a value of 60 credits. While they are able to be taken on their own however, a PgCert could result in a PgDip which could be the start of a Master’s program. This means that you can pursue your studies at the level you desire and then take your studies to the next level.

You’ll find different awards on our pages for postgraduate courses, which indicate that you are able to study the course at different levels, such as Educational Leadership and Management MSc/PgDip/PgCert.

The majority of people require an undergraduate degree to enroll in a PgDip course or an equivalent certification. If you don’t hold an undergraduate degree, however you have job experience, you could have the required abilities and skills required to pursue postgraduate studies. You’ll need to discuss your potential eligibility with the admissions staff to the particular course that you’re considering.