Skip to content
Home » How old does my pet need to be before they can travel?

How old does my pet need to be before they can travel?

Traveling to EU countries as well as Northern Ireland (NI) with your pet ferret, cat or dog will be changed at the 1st of January in 2021.

Pet passports issued in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) including those for the Channel Islands and Isle of Man are no longer valid when traveling to any EU member state as well as Northern Ireland.

You may still be able to make use of your pet passport if you’re travelling in another EU country and your passport was issued within:

An EU country that is a member of the EU.
Faroe Islands
Northern Ireland
San Marino
Vatican City State

What are the things I’ll require to take with me when I travel with my pet from and to Great Britain?

If you are traveling from or to Great Britain (GB) to the EU with your dog or aid They will require:

a microchip
A valid rabies vaccination your pet should be at twelve weeks old prior to the time they can receive a vaccination
treatment for tapeworms (if necessary)
A certificate of animal health (AHC) AHC must be provided within 10 days from the date you plan to travel.

Be sure to verify your route before departing to ensure you travel on approved routes.

Assistance dogs

If you’re traveling with an assist dog coming back from EU You do not need to travel on approved routes. It is enough to inform authorities that you’re traveling with an aid dog and ensure that the proper inspections are conducted.

There is no requirement to take an approved route if travel to GB through the other UK nations, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland.

Pet travel – When is my pet required to get the rabies vaccine?

Your pet should be at minimum 12 weeks old to get the vaccination. Then, you’ll need to wait 21 days following the first vaccination of your pet before you travel.

Traveling towards Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

In addition to this If you’re traveling with your dog towards Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta you must have your dog checked for tapeworm.

Your pet needs to undergo treatment between one and five days prior to arriving each of these nations. Your veterinarian must also provide complete details about the AHC after treatment.

How should I proceed after I get to the EU?

Once you have arrived within the EU when you arrive in the EU, you’ll need to go to the Travellers’ Point of Entry and present a valid evidence that your animal’s AHC microchip, vaccinations, microchip and treatment for tapeworms (if required) prior to being permitted to continue your journey.

What is the maximum time I am permitted to travel for?

The AHC is valid for a period of four months travel in the EU. Additionally, you must return into Great Britain within that period or your AHC expires.

Recurring visits to EU or NI

Your pet will require an new AHC for every visit into either the EU as well as NI.

If your pet is vaccinated with an current rabies vaccination background following your first AHC vaccination, they do not require a second rabies vaccine prior to travel into either the EU as well as NI.

However, if you’re traveling direct into Finland, Republic of Ireland, NI, Norway or Malta then you’ll require tapeworm treatment on each of your trips.
What age is my pet required to be to travel?

Within GB your pet is not allowed to travel to or out of England, Scotland or Wales until they reach 15 weeks old. This is the time it is required to reach the age to receive their vaccinations, and a 21-day waiting period afterward to allow the vaccination to be effective.

How many animals can I take on a trip with?

It is possible to bring up to five pets or from GB. The only exceptions are when you’re participating in or are training

in a contest
in an event
during the course of a sporting event

You must bring a written proof of your participation at the event at the Travellers’ Point of Entry.

Your pet must be older than six months and actively participating in the event or in training and meet the other requirements to be allowed into the country.

Additional requirements to research

Before traveling, determine if there are illnesses or parasites that you need that you should be mindful of, or laws in a nation that differ from the laws that we observe within the UK. For instance, there are diseases that are prevalent in Southern Mediterranean and other places that is recommended to guard your pet from.

Be sure to ask your veterinarian about any health concerns and get advice on how to protect yourself against mosquitoes, ticks and sandflies, all of which could transmit diseases. There are other risks, like blisters on the feet caused by hot surfaces or poisonous snakes that you and your pet may not be well-versed in.

The laws regarding dog ownership differ from country to country; in Italy for instance (as as well as on certain ferry lines) the pet owners are required to keep their pets muzzled in publicplaces, which is why you’ll have to purchase one and ensure that your pet is properly equipped to wear one and that you have it on you throughout the day.