Skip to content
Home » Advantages of Having Effective Data Recovery in Place

Advantages of Having Effective Data Recovery in Place

  • by

Backup and recovery of data is a vital security measure for companies in the present. This article will discuss the primary benefits in data protection and data restoration. A lot of time is spent the creation of business data and information. Financials, CRM, customer and order data are vital to the daily business operation in addition to data like intellectual property (IP) and strategies and tactics for business forecasting, and contractual data are crucial to competitive data. Data loss can result in the business being unable to run or invest a considerable amount of time building databases starting from scratch.

The importance of backups for data

The importance of backups for data can’t be overestimated. In the event of a prolonged downtime, it can result in the loss of trust, customers switching suppliers, a decrease in revenues, and, in the worst-case scenario, bankruptcy. The loss or theft of competitive information can also destroy a business competitive advantage.

Anyone who is practiced and prepared with the most appropriate and effective strategies for data recovery Cape Town will benefit from the following advantages:

Important files are secured

The primary purpose behind the backup of data is to help keep your most crucial information secure and prevent a catastrophic and prolonged losing of information. Data backup and recovery’s main function and purpose is to safeguard your most valuable files secure to allow businesses to get functioning again following a data loss event.

Peace of mind

Many business executives are concerned about their backups of data. The ‘what ifs’ and worries can be quelled by implementing a backup and recovery strategy is established and test. If there is a losing data, the backup plan can be implemented without worry of being unable to access crucial information.


Restoring data is difficult and sensitive to time. Data can be easily restored when there is a loss by using a well-thought-out and tested backup and recovery plan. This means that there’s no hesitation or concerns like ‘What should what do we now?’ because it’s an easy task to follow the strategy that was defined.

Recovery speed

In the event of data loss the speed at which data is recovered and return to normal’ can be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful business. If the data is properly protected and secured, crucial information can be restored in a brief period of time. Emails that have been deleted can be restored in minutes. Depending on the method of storage used and size of the data, significant data as well as the main IT systems might require a couple of days or hours to restore.
Consistency of data stored

Consistency in backup processes can ensure that the most important data is saved. Any backup process that requires manual input could lead to errors by humans and inconsistent results.

Data retention “house in order’

Data backup is a must-have the same direction as your data retention strategy. It is important to know what the data you are most concerned about is, as well as determining the data that should be automatically deleted is crucial. This will help you to adhere to the GDPR regulations – eliminating the data whenever necessary. It will it will also help you avoid having to buy storage space. For instance, it’s a recommended to delete emails after 7 years in order to minimize the need for storage of files.

Selling points – establish trust with customers

Data backup strategies demonstrate an organization’s due diligence. Security risks inherent to supply chains mean that potential customers are expecting high-quality handling of data and security standards in the present. It is essential that customer information is safe however, you must keep delivering your service in the event of an incident.

A back-up supplier relationship has already been established

It is best to have a relationship established with a backup service provider, even if you don’t have the internal expertise or capacity. They’ll already be aware of your IT infrastructure as well as where your data is as well as what the recovery strategy will be, which will make data retrieval much easier.

Take a look at the duration it takes to choose the right supplier. It can take weeks or months to assess a new IT support provider and even the new provider of IT to know the IT infrastructure of your company. If the partnership hasn’t in place prior to an incident then the selection of an external vendor is forced and performed quickly.

Auditing is a legal requirement

HMRC obliges businesses to retain financial information for six years or more in certain situations. If there is an accident that results in important information disappearing forever You could be penalized in the event that you are unable to provide the proper documents. HM Revenue will not be at ease with the fact that you’ve lost vital data.

Competitive advantage

Many companies fail to prepare and test their disaster recovery plans. If there is an overwhelming disaster such as an attack on supply chain networks those companies with plans for disaster recovery can survive and grow. The first business in your industry that is “back in business” may be able to steal customers from companies who are still recovering.

Audit trail – Identify threats from within

If an employee deliberately deletes files, they could be easily recovered by using data backup. Emails are typically deleted to hide tracks however, angry employees could delete important documents. Backup and recovery of data allows businesses to safeguard themselves against insider threats or employee-related misdeeds.

Reduce downtime cost

Are you aware of the amount the cost of downtime is for your business? If an event occurs you have the proper backup set up to swiftly restore operations can dramatically cut the cost of downtime. The loss of revenue and productivity of users can cost small businesses thousands of dollars every hour. We’ve seen it often that businesses that have backups of data and recovery usually are up and running in a matter of hours, whereas those without backup and recovery can require months to restore.

Rate of survival

According to an Gartner study, businesses that don’t have an emergency plan for backup and recovery have a mere 6percent chance of survival in the event of the event. 94 percent of companies did not operate for two years following a disaster. Here are some of the reasons:

Without backups and recovery of data it could take months for it to be operational
Clients are disappointed, and they leave
Employers may seek employment in other places, especially if their salaries are not being paid.
If the reputation of the company is damaged, it is harder to find new customers.

A good security practice

Data backup is an excellent security practice. Data backup and recovery plan is the best chance of survival and long-term viability for your business.